OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to begin working on the new herp guide!

4 posters

Go down

Time to begin working on the new herp guide! Empty Time to begin working on the new herp guide!

Post  okherp Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Well the county range maps are inaccurate again. I just turned in a new Marshall County record last week and got confirmation on it today. Green Treefrog, Hyla cinerea, at Fobb Bottom WMA. I'm going to try to go out this week and get a couple for the Wildlife Expo.
okherp
okherp

http://www.okherp.com

Back to top Go down

Time to begin working on the new herp guide! Empty Re: Time to begin working on the new herp guide!

Post  tandy Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:02 am

Richard,
That is awesome. Keep the changes coming. Very Happy

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Time to begin working on the new herp guide! Empty Re: Time to begin working on the new herp guide!

Post  PatHigdon Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Well, we aren't supposed to have Prairie Rattlers in Grady County either. But I have seen them, though it has been many years ago.
PatHigdon
PatHigdon

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Richard, Next time your in Marshall County hollar at me. I live down here! Also on Grady County, I know Praire Rattlers are out by Acme, I know of a Large Den in the Jepsum Hills.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  okherp Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:49 am

I'm down here until July 1.

Now I keep hoping to find a cottonmouth in Marshall County. That would be another county record. There has never been one found here! I don't understand it, because the habitat is perfect, and they are confirmed in Johnston and Bryan counties. I would think there are some in Fobb Bottom, but nothing yet. Saw a couple of water snakes though! Very Happy
okherp
okherp

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Have you looked up by Little City? I've seen them there before. Also seen some Alligators there 2 years ago. Not sure if the state trapped them and relocated them.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  okherp Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Would you be willing to go up there sometime in the next couple of weeks, on a weekend?
okherp
okherp

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 am

My days off are currently Monday/Tuesdays for the next few months. I can go anything time after 4pm once I get a nap, I get off work at 7 am every day lol. also if you have a shallow draft boat, would be good for that area. have to be careful to only catch and release in the area, I believe its all CORP land and part of Tishomingo National Wild Life Refuge,if its north of sh199.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  okherp Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:58 am

I don't have access to a boat, but the Tishomingo Wildlife Refuge will allow me to collect if it is a voucher specimen, especially for a new county record. I took a green treefrog from Dick's pond a couple of weeks ago as a specimen (not a county record, but a noteworthy find) and sent it alive to OU Sam Noble Museum.

Maybe I figure something out.
okherp
okherp

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:21 pm

I'll give ya a call wednesday and try to setup something. I'm off for the next week, but monday/tues we're celebrating our anniversary.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  okherp Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:58 am

Sounds good. I'll be in SE Oklahoma on an all day field trip with students on Wednesday, so I don't know if I'll get good reception or can answer my phone, but leave me a message and I'll get back with you when I can. We're taking the students to McCurtain County, going to Beavers Bend, Red Slough, maybe Little River, and hit a few places on the way back.
okherp
okherp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down