OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

+6
Zak
JoshuaTrana
PatHigdon
Snakeman
gatsu7
tandy
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name? Empty Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

Post  tandy Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:11 am

Just curious if we have any hoggie breeders here? I have seen a few more this year than I normally do; I'm sure the drought has them stirred up. They are one of my favorites.

Also, I am trying to come up with a cool and unusual name for my smallest hognose. Any suggestions? I've thought of "Hoover" or "Dyson" because he just inhales food.

Thanks! Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name? Empty Re: Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

Post  gatsu7 Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

I like Hoover. I still have never found a hognose in the wild. I would love to find one, eastern or western.
gatsu7
gatsu7

https://ochs.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name? Empty Re: Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

Post  Snakeman Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Don and Sally Shores in Ft. Worth breed a lot of them.

www.shoresenuffsnakes.com

I vote for Hoover also.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  PatHigdon Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Tim Mead in Shawnee should have some. www.serpentim.com
PatHigdon
PatHigdon

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshuaTrana Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm

I caught one outside of McAllister once. Very Happy

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

My wife saw one at our house but wouldn't catch it for me.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:22 pm

I know David Martin on here (shadrack) has some that he is working on. I don't think he has any large enough to breed yet. Tim Meade has some, again, not sure if he is breeding them or not.
Cameron
Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:22 pm

Yup Yup Yup.... got a large male het albino i got from shores last year, and got a het albino female from them a few months ago, should be breedable by next season she's growing like a weed, they dont shed that much then they'll have a couple of sheds pretty quick then nothing for a while LOL so weird... she's pounding down large pinks and fuzzies like a champ 2-5 a week....

would have loved to just have a pair of normals breedable this year to get some experience with them but dont think that'll happen, not many people working with them round here that i found in my searches.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Keep me posted on your breeding projects. I'd be interested in a CB hoggie. Ok, I am going to open myself up for harassment, but I have come up with the perfect name for my little hognose..here it comes...Spade. Laughing Let the ribbing begin.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Tandy,

I'm going to be nice and restrain myself. bounce

....................but it's really difficult.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:04 pm

tandy wrote:Keep me posted on your breeding projects. I'd be interested in a CB hoggie. Ok, I am going to open myself up for harassment, but I have come up with the perfect name for my little hognose..here it comes...Spade. Laughing Let the ribbing begin.

Tandy

well she's packing the food away, not shed yet but then again my male sometimes will shed a few times and then nothing for several months then shed a few times, def. weird snakes, she's a cutie though little sausage, just hope i can get her to the size she needs to be for breeding next year it's het albino to het albino so i'm sure i'll have some albinos and some hets out of that pairing, then once i get an albino i'm gonna try to move on to some more hoggie projects like maybe an anery or some of the extreme colors to get better verstions etc...dotn know the sky is the limit with those guys, i'm finding they like it a bit warmer than most places show bottom of their tubs are mid to high 90's and they burrow down and flatten out right on it, so excited to finally get some, wouldn't have minded an adult normal pair though just to breed and get some breeding experience under my belt, my male is huge, so if anyone even has a normal female let me know i'm sure he'd have no problem locking up Very Happy.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:31 pm

tandy wrote:Keep me posted on your breeding projects. I'd be interested in a CB hoggie. Ok, I am going to open myself up for harassment, but I have come up with the perfect name for my little hognose..here it comes...Spade. Laughing Let the ribbing begin.

Tandy

HOOVER HOOVER HOOVER Cool

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:16 pm

tandy wrote:Just curious if we have any hoggie breeders here? I have seen a few more this year than I normally do; I'm sure the drought has them stirred up. They are one of my favorites.

Also, I am trying to come up with a cool and unusual name for my smallest hognose. Any suggestions? I've thought of "Hoover" or "Dyson" because he just inhales food.

Thanks! Tandy

Do you have to have a license to own a hognose? Didn't I hear if you wanted to own any native wildlife you have to have one?? and if so what's the process or how hard is it?

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:22 pm

Spider Woman wrote:
tandy wrote:Just curious if we have any hoggie breeders here? I have seen a few more this year than I normally do; I'm sure the drought has them stirred up. They are one of my favorites.

Thanks! Tandy

Do you have to have a license to own a hognose? Didn't I hear if you wanted to own any native wildlife you have to have one?? and if so what's the process or how hard is it?

to own i believe no, to breed/sell yes. if my understanding is correct, i'm sure tandy or larry will give a ruling soon.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Here I am. LOL. To collect native reptiles, you must a have hunting license, scientific collector's permit, or commercial breeder's license, etc. depending on the situation. You can view the regulations on ODWC's website at www.wildlifedepartment.com. You do not need a permit, etc. to own captive-bred hognose but would need to be able to document that it was indeed CB if ever questioned. Any reptiles on the species of special concern, endangered, or threatened list cannot be collected, handled, etc. without special permission (usually only research-based) from ODWC or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service once again depending on the species. The hognose is on the Least Concern list (a good thing). I'm not aware of any that are on another list and here in OK we have Eastern and Western and arguably their subspecies.

I personally use my hunting license only for hunting and maintain my educational animals under my scientific collector's permit and animals in for rehab, of course, under my wildlife rehab permit. If a rehab animal is suitable for educational programs or can't be released due to injuries, I will transfer it over to my SC permit to maintain it on the long-term since there are time-limits on holding rehab animals which is a good thing since the purpose of rehab is to get them back into the wild as soon as they are healthy enough to do so. Like Larry (I can hear the flack now Very Happy ), I am anal about maintaining my records and practice what I preach. It only takes one or two people to ruin privileges for many.

If you are serious about keeping a hognose, I would highly reccomend a CB one. Wild-caught hoggies are notoriously picky/difficult feeders and there is a lot of controversy about feeding them exclusivley on rodents. I will not go into that here; I just wanted you to be aware of it.

Sorry if it's TMI. Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:03 pm

there ya go Razz was nice to meet you at the show tandy, prob dont know who i am but i was standing around when you were talking (had one of larry's cages when i asked about wher ehe got them, still can't find them) but i won the bag you donated it is very nice Very Happy.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 pm

David,

I get my cages from www.glasscages.com

Go to "acrylic" link on the site.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Snakeman wrote:David,

I get my cages from www.glasscages.com

Go to "acrylic" link on the site.

I did. They don't ship Those from what I saw. Only bring to shows etc.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:59 pm

They do ship.

Enter your zip code on the site for the cost.

I've been ordering from them for several years now.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:08 pm

Robin,

On this forum, under "Local Laws", you should also check out "Oklahoma Hunting Regulations for Reptiles and Amphibians".

If that doesn't answer all of your questions, please let me know.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm

Shadraak wrote:there ya go Razz was nice to meet you at the show tandy, prob dont know who i am but i was standing around when you were talking (had one of larry's cages when i asked about wher ehe got them, still can't find them) but i won the bag you donated it is very nice Very Happy.

I do remember you. I know sometimes it's hard for all of us to put a name with a face especially those of us that don't make it to many meetings. I'm glad you like the bag. Timbuk2 has some great bags. Hope to see you again soon.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:49 pm

tandy wrote:Here I am. LOL. To collect native reptiles, you must a have hunting license, scientific collector's permit, or commercial breeder's license, etc. depending on the situation. You can view the regulations on ODWC's website at www.wildlifedepartment.com. You do not need a permit, etc. to own captive-bred hognose but would need to be able to document that it was indeed CB if ever questioned. Any reptiles on the species of special concern, endangered, or threatened list cannot be collected, handled, etc. without special permission (usually only research-based) from ODWC or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service once again depending on the species. The hognose is on the Least Concern list (a good thing). I'm not aware of any that are on another list and here in OK we have Eastern and Western and arguably their subspecies.

I personally use my hunting license only for hunting and maintain my educational animals under my scientific collector's permit and animals in for rehab, of course, under my wildlife rehab permit. If a rehab animal is suitable for educational programs or can't be released due to injuries, I will transfer it over to my SC permit to maintain it on the long-term since there are time-limits on holding rehab animals which is a good thing since the purpose of rehab is to get them back into the wild as soon as they are healthy enough to do so. Like Larry (I can hear the flack now Very Happy ), I am anal about maintaining my records and practice what I preach. It only takes one or two people to ruin privileges for many.

If you are serious about keeping a hognose, I would highly reccomend a CB one. Wild-caught hoggies are notoriously picky/difficult feeders and there is a lot of controversy about feeding them exclusivley on rodents. I will not go into that here; I just wanted you to be aware of it.

Sorry if it's TMI. Tandy

Wow, that was a mouthful...so in other words, yes I could buy a CB. What document would you suggest? A note from the breeder, anyone could just type one up. I can't imagine it ever coming up to prove that, but I guess you never know.

I will check out those web sites but figure you could give me a yes or no answer Very Happy

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:41 am

Robin,

Let's try this.

No, you do not need any licenses or permits to keep native herps, if they are species that are legal to keep in the first place and they are are nonvenomous.

(Even though they are rear-fanged and mildly venomous, hogs are not recognized as venomous at this time.)

However, if you do not have a valid hunting and/or fishing license and you did not collect the herp yourself (which you can't do without a license), you must have the necessary paperwork in your possession.

See sample below:

Ok. 73135 , 1 Great Plains Ratsnake (emoryi).

This snake was lawfully taken/caught by me on June 5, 2007.

My hunting and fishing license # is : P00715554410661 and my address

is 1128 W. Peebly Dr. Midwest City , Ok. 73110-1539.

This is the information Johnny would need to have in his possession as long as he had/kept this snake that I caught and gave to him.

Also remember that with our native herps you can not have more than 6 of any one species of reptile and 4 of any one species of amphibian in your possession.

Whether it's wild caught or captive bred, if it's native to Oklahoma, you need the appropriate documentation showing how you legally obtained it.

In addition, keep in mind, that it's illegal to sell native herps.

If you plan to keep venomous and/or if you plan to breed your native herps, there's more information you need to know, which Tandy explained also.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Larry, I did read thru some of the laws, I just really wanted to know If I could own a hognose. I guess by all the answers that would be a yes If I bought a cb. I didn't know they were "mildly venemous", maybe I don't want one!

You know I don't do venomous and that I am not interested in breeding.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:52 pm

"I just really wanted to know If I could own a hognose. I guess by all the answers that would be a yes If I bought a cb. I didn't know they were "mildly venemous", maybe I don't want one!"

Robin,

Yes. You can own a hog and it can be wild caught or captive bred.

However, if you get a wild caught I would encourage you to get a western.

Personally I've never had a problem changing them over to rodents.

If you get an eastern, you need to have a dependable supply of toads.

Like Tandy said though, captive bred is usually better for several reasons.

Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next