OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors

3 posters

Go down

Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors Empty Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors

Post  Bryan Arens Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

I know that it is best to feed savannah monitors a varied diet, since they are prone to getting fatty liver disease. I was wondering if anyone knows if chicken gizzards could be fed as a staple supplemented with insects, instead of a primarily rodent diet?
Bryan Arens
Bryan Arens

Back to top Go down

Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors Empty Re: Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors

Post  Snakeman Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:26 pm

I would say no.
For the most part, rodents are a "complete package" with regards to providing all the basic nutrients a herp needs in one meal.
Nearly everything else will be missing some of the essential nutrients and must be supplemented.
However, IF you supplement correctly there should not be a problem.
For example, gizzards and insects will not provide calcium.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors Empty Re: Chicken gizzards for Savannah monitors

Post  Bryan Arens Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks Larry, i do supplement her diet with calcium powder. What I am getting at is that I have read that a rodent only diet can lead to fatty liver disease, and I am wondering if savannahs can be fed mostly chicken gizzards like tegus, with an occasional rodent or two for a variety.
Bryan Arens
Bryan Arens

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 am

You're welcome.
As long as there's variety in the diet and you supplement, then you shouldn't have a problem with the gizzards.
Variety is really important with a lot of lizard species and getting the supplementation right can be a problem.
Some species are worse than others.
Sometimes chameleons will quit eating and die if they don't have enough variety in their diet.
When I kept lizards, I tried to keep that in mind with all the species I had.
With all the herps I have kept, I always go by activity level and body weight.
If the herp is obviously obese, then "fatty liver disease" and other problems may soon follow.
If the herp appears to be well fed, but not obese, and is active, I wouldn't be concerned.
For what it's worth.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Arens Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks Larry, she has filled out nicely but is not obese or even fat for that matter, plus she is always active. I just did not want to try the gizzards if they were not nutritious enough for her. If she can eat them, then that will help with food cost as well.
Bryan Arens
Bryan Arens

Back to top Go down

Post  DMBizeau Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Bryan, as I told you the gizzards will be fine to feed most of the time just make sure you supplement with calcium and vitamin powder. Feed rodents on every week or 2 and she should do great and not get fatty liver disease.
DMBizeau
DMBizeau

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Arens Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks Dave.
Bryan Arens
Bryan Arens

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down