OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Ball

2 posters

Go down

My Ball Empty My Ball

Post  Kim Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:41 pm

As some may know...we have been waiting for our little guy to shed for some time now. I was starting to get a little concerned so I started looking up ways to help him shed. I found several suggestions. Of course the obvious was increase the humidity which I didn't know how to increase it anymore than it already was...we have been doing everything we could. But I did find one idea that ended up working...or at least it seemed to. It said to place him in a moistened pillowcase overnight. So I actually moistened a dishcloth placing it in the bag and placing him on it, tied it loosely and put him back in his tank under his light. After the second night, he buried himself in his substrate and worked part of his shed off. When he surfaced I realized what had happened and soakened him in warm water and he worked some more off. So I returned him to the bag last night...and sure enough, this morning he worked the rest of his shed off! I have never felt so much relief over something! I am probably being silly but I know that a bad shed can cause serious problems and I don't know how long they can go before it becomes a 'bad shed' At this point his eyes had been covered ( fully white cloudy) for two weeks, so this is why I felt like I should be concerned.
Anyway, hopefully now I can get him to eat at some point since he was eating live rats and we prefer to feed f/t so we will see, hopefully he is hungry enough.
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

My Ball Empty Re: My Ball

Post  Zak Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Normally what I do is when they are no longer blue anymore I will dump some of their water in their enclosure and that normally works well. I never thought of doing this until I saw an experienced breeder do it. Plus I would soak mine also. I've had retics have bad sheds and I've never had any serious problems with them as far as health problems, and I've seen other peoples retics with bad sheds too. Now I've heard of eye caps not coming off and causing problems. Anyways, I'm glad everything worked out for ya. I love a fresh shed snake always looks so new. Very Happy
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Also I would like to add tails too with the shedding problems. I keep my snakes in a room and I have problems with humidity all the time so I ended up having to get a humidifier which seems to help a lot.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down