OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rat Snake Enclosure?

2 posters

Go down

Rat Snake Enclosure? Empty Rat Snake Enclosure?

Post  tandy Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 pm

I am looking at an adult pair of ratsnakes and thinking about an enclosure that would best suit their nature. Does anyone have/made rat snake enclosures they really like? I prefer display-type enclosures rather than rack-type. Just thought I'd pick your brains as I try to decide on this gorgeous pair.

Thanks, Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Rat Snake Enclosure? Empty Re: Rat Snake Enclosure?

Post  snakefreak Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Depends on what species you are talking about. Black Ratsnake pair?
I am really glad to hear you are considering getting some ratsnakes though! Very Happy
snakefreak
snakefreak

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Duh on my end! They're an albino Black/Texas intergrade which is typically what I see in the normal pattern in my area. That's one of the reasons they are of such an interest to me. Tandy
P.S. I also got to see a WC Trans Pecos rat while on my Austin trip-wahoo!
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  snakefreak Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Oooh! Those sound really neat!!! Smile
Well, Black and Texas Ratsnakes would really enjoy a cage with some height to it and some good climbing branches (although they even thrive in smaller cages with almost no height, but I assure you they'd use any climbing space)! They do have the potential to be quite large too, so they would need a good sized enclosure. Really they would be quite basic and easy to keep, as they are really hardy and adapt really well to life in captivity. Cage size will depend on how big they are though.

Here's a pic of a rather large black rat x texas rat intergrade that I had caught and kept temporarily basking on a branch in his enclosure. Thought you may enjoy it. Very Happy
Rat Snake Enclosure? Photos10
And that is awesome about the Trans Pecos Ratsnake! I really like that species! They are really pretty, and the babies are just extra cute with those huge "googley" eyes! lol
snakefreak
snakefreak

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:52 am

Thanks for the info. I have kept a few rats snakes over the years but few WC adults have settled down enough to go through the rigors my program/display snakes have to endure. All I can think of when I come across a Texas rat is "spicy." They have have it. Laughing If I decide to take that pair, I will post pics.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down