OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cornsnake

3 posters

Go down

Cornsnake Empty Cornsnake

Post  Spider Woman Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:08 pm

OK, Larry, I'm sure I'll get harassment from you, soooooooo here goes, I was at petsmart getting some mice and crickets and I always peek in the snake cages. I usually don't like the color of alot of cornsnakes but I saw a little teeny tiny baby that is sooo cute it had to come home with me. So, on one hand you should be proud of me getting a cornsnake (aren't they considered a culbrid (sp)?? On the other hand you will rip me for buying it at petsmart, right??

I will bring it to the meeting. I think I will have to have someone come with me if I'm bringing my baby sulcata's, Dumeril's so Dr. Minson can probe them and now this little guy which I had to name him bowtie due to the pattern on his head. i can't believe these tiny little things eat pinkies. there goes the rule of not feeding anything biger than the girth!

OK, lets hear it............

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Cornsnake Empty Re: Cornsnake

Post  Snakeman Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 pm

On the contrary, I'm really glad you got it.

It's really a snake rescue. Laughing

Yes, corn snakes are colubrids.

I would encourage you to start it on reds (newborns) and not pinkies.

Pinkies may be a little too large for it right now.

"Bowtie".

That's a cool name.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Congrats on your new corn.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks guys, and ya, you could look at it as a rescue. Someone else might have got him and not taken care of him!! I thought pinkies were to big but the guy there said thats what they fed them. He said they were really small thou. Do you think I should get them at AA instead of back at petsmart? They were out of the ones they use to feed and he said it would be time for him to eat Wed. Correct me if I'm wrong (which your really good at) but even at that small size I'm sure he can wait 3 more days to be fed.

I didn't see this particular pattern at the herp show. I hope the colors stays true, I don't know if the round dots on the back will turn into bands or what. There was another pic there of a really cool one but they were out. I am going to call them Wed and see if they got any in the shipment. I should be able to put up a divider of some kind to keep them seperate until I can get some more cages. Or would they be ok together? Are they known to eat each other?

I guess I better read up on these little ones. I have read the humidity needs to be 30%-50%.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:04 pm

"Correct me if I'm wrong (which your really good at) but even at that small size I'm sure he can wait 3 more days."

Robin,

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm correcting you all the time.

I'm just trying to help.

It concerns me a little that the guy at Petsmart apparently didn't know the difference between reds (newborns) and pinkies.

I would suggest that you get your reds from AA.

Bryan always has a good selection.

Corn snakes (hatchlings through adults) should be fed once per week.

The only thing that should change is the size of the prey item.

Corn snakes are generally not know to "eat each other", but it has happened and I wouldn't keep them or any other species of snake together for that matter, regardless.
Especially since you don't want to breed herps.
(Herpetoculture 101)

Did you get Johnny's email ?

He sent you an email about a cage with a top that he has for sale.

There are a ton of corn snake morphs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern on your hatchling.

Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 pm

Man little hatchling snakes that are that small make me nervous because they are so tiny.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Snakeman wrote:"Correct me if I'm wrong (which your really good at) but even at that small size I'm sure he can wait 3 more days."

Robin,

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm correcting you all the time.

I'm just trying to help.

It concerns me a little that the guy at Petsmart apparently didn't know the difference between reds (newborns) and pinkies.

I would suggest that you get your reds from AA.

Bryan always has a good selection.

Corn snakes (hatchlings through adults) should be fed once per week.

The only thing that should change is the size of the prey item.

Corn snakes are generally not know to "eat each other", but it has happened and I wouldn't keep them or any other species of snake together for that matter, regardless.
Especially since you don't want to breed herps.
(Herpetoculture 101)

Did you get Johnny's email ?

He sent you an email about a cage with a top that he has for sale.

There are a ton of corn snake morphs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pattern on your hatchling.

Larry, you should know me by now that I was just "kidding" about that you always correct me. I don't care if you do correct me.. just giving you a hard time.

Do you really think "it" can't wait 3 more days to eat so I can get some from AA? I'm being serious about that quest. The size does freak me out a little.

And no, I didn't get an email from Johnny. I even looked in my spam and only found junk emails about enhancing your you know what's Laughing

If you could let him know for me that would be great, does he live around the city anywhere?

I was wondering about if I did get that other little baby, keeping them together for awhile, not when they start growing much.

Yes, correct me if I'm wrong. PLEASE

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:15 pm

ZakO wrote:Man little hatchling snakes that are that small make me nervous because they are so tiny.

Your not kidding. I didn't have a little tank so I put him in a 29g and put some aspen (yes Larry I did say aspen, thats what he was on and wanted to make him feel less nervous for awhile) in the bottom with a little coconut shell and little water dish and a fake tree limb with cutouts so the critters can go in and out. Well when I got home today my son said he was gone! I looked everywhere, in all the holes in the tree limb and took out the papertowels in the bottom and the thin layer of aspen, around the living room knowing good and well there was no way I was going to find him if he got out.....he was GONE! I was soooo bumbed, I was so sad. Well Ryan got a flash light and started looking inside the log and the little stinker has gotten in a place that I think wasn't ment to be open. I don't even know how Ryan saw him up in there. Then instead of being sad I got mad and started chewing that little snake out. If I could get him out I'd wring his teeny tiny neck!!!! If he don't come out soon I'm pouring a little water in there and see if I can force him out Twisted Evil

Last edited by Spider Woman on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 pm

In three more days how long will it have been since it's last meal ?

Don't worry about it's size.

If you know what you're doing, that won't matter.

Ask Bryan for "newborns".

Call Johnny. (405) 473-3247.

He lives here in Oklahoma County.

If you get another hatchling corn snake don't keep them together.

Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 pm

" I didn't have a little tank so I put him in a 29g and put some aspen (yes Larry I did say aspen, thats what he was on and wanted to make him feel less nervous for awhile) in the bottom with a little coconut shell and little water dish and a fake tree limb with cutouts so the critters can go in and out. Well when I got home today my son said he was gone! I looked everywhere, in all the holes in the tree limb and took out the papertowels in the bottom and the thin layer of aspen, around the living room knowing good and well there was no way I was going to find him if he got out.....he was GONE! I was soooo bumbed, I was so sad. Well Ryan got a flash light and started looking inside the log and the little sh** has gotten in a place that I think wasn't ment to be open. I don't even know how Ryan saw him up in there. Then instead of being sad I got mad and started chewing that little snake out. If I could get him out I'd wring his teeny tiny neck!!!! If he don't come out soon I'm pouring a little water in there and see if I can force him out."

Robin,

Petsmart had it on aspen.

Does that tell you something.

Please take it off that substrate and whatever you do put it on a substrate that it can eat off of.

Don't feed it in a separate container and then move it.

A 29 gallon is way to big for it.

I would not try to force it out with water.

If it got in there by itself, it can probably get out by itself, when it's ready.

It probably feels very secure in there in such a large tank.

Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Robin,

Petsmart had it on aspen. Does that tell you something. HA HA

Please take it off that substrate and whatever you do put it on a substrate that it can eat off of. Don't feed it in a separate container and then move it. I WAS GOING TO FEED IT IN A BUCKET LIKE I DO THE REST OF MY SNAKES. WHY DO YOU SAY THAT ABOUT THIS ONE? WILL THEY NOT GET SNAPPY IF YOU FEED IN THE TANK AND IT EXPECT FOOD WHEN YOU REACH IN THERE?

A 29 gallon is way to big for it. YES I KNOW, I WILL GET SOMETHING THIS WEEKEND, DON'T HAVE ANYTHING SMALLER RIGHT NOW AND THAT HAD A HEATING PAD ON IT ALREADY OR I WOULD OF BOUGHT A CRITTER KEEPER TEMPORARILY. IS A 10G TO BIG FOR IT RIGHT KNOW?

I would not try to force it out with water. If it got in there by itself, it can probably get out by itself, when it's ready. It probably feels very secure in there in such a large tank. YA, I KNOW, I WAS THINKING THAT TO, I WAS JUST BLABBING BECAUSE HE MADE ME MAD THINKING HE WAS GONE AND SCARING ME LIKE THAT! THE LITTLE TURKEY.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:10 pm

"I WAS GOING TO FEED IT IN A BUCKET LIKE I DO THE REST OF MY SNAKES. WHY DO YOU SAY THAT ABOUT THIS ONE? WILL THEY NOT GET SNAPPY IF YOU FEED IN THE TANK AND IT EXPECT FOOD WHEN YOU REACH IN THERE?"

With small hatchlings, there's no need to feed them in a separate container and you shouldn't be moving them around right after they've just had a meal.

I'll talk to you about feeding in a separate container Thursday night at the meeting.

"YES I KNOW, I WILL GET SOMETHING THIS WEEKEND, DON'T HAVE ANYTHING SMALLER RIGHT NOW AND THAT HAD A HEATING PAD ON IT ALREADY OR I WOULD OF BOUGHT A CRITTER KEEPER TEMPORARILY. IS A 10G TO BIG FOR IT RIGHT KNOW?"

A 10 gallon will be fine, but I can bring you something better, that's a lot cheaper ($5.00) for you to look at and consider Thursday night if you want ??

Did you get that eye cap off ?
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes, bring what you have please.

I don't see the cap on there anymore. It either came off or smoothed back out where I can't see. You can look Thurs.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Robin,

If, by chance, your hatchling won't eat, please let me know ASAP.

There's some things you can do.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Should I put the tank in a dark spot so he will come out of the log if he's not out tomorrow?

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Use the regular light cycle.

Light during the day and dark with no light on it's cage or in the room at night.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Snakeman wrote:Use the regular light cycle.

Light during the day and dark with no light on it's cage or in the room at night.

That what I always do, but I want him to come out so I can play with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:59 pm

lol!
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:57 am

Robin,

I just got an email from Catherine.

Talk with her about keeping two snakes together.

Another example of what I'm talking about.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Snakeman wrote:Robin,

I just got an email from Catherine.

Talk with her about keeping two snakes together.

Another example of what I'm talking about.

Did her babies eat each other? Sad

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:00 pm

She had two snakes (not hatchlings) together in the same cage and one was attempting to eat the other.

I think she said they were both Black Rats.

Fortunately she caught them in time.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down