OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

+6
Zak
JoshuaTrana
PatHigdon
Snakeman
gatsu7
tandy
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

Post  Spider Woman Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Definatly don't want to feed toads. But I didn't realize they were venomous. Don't really want to get bit and swell up like a stuffed pig or anything!

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Anyone here breeding hognose? Name? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone here breeding hognose? Name?

Post  okherp Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm

The best thing about a hognose is that unless you smell like a frog, toad, or mouse, you won't get bitten. Plus their venom is extremely mild. The westerns are slightly more potent, causing localized swelling which may affect the entire limb, but it is never fatal. Like all animals, handle with care; make sure you don't smell like food before handling it. Although they are mildly venomous, they pose no threat or hazard to humans or pets, and therefore are not even considered as venomous by most standards. However, if I'm not mistaken, they are not allowed in OKC. I had a friend who wanted to get his venomous permit, but they wouldn't even let him have a hognose because it is venomous, and he lives in MWC. I don't know all the technicalities involved, but the city told him "No".
okherp
okherp

http://www.okherp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:37 pm

"The best thing about a hognose is that unless you smell like a frog, toad, or mouse, you won't get bitten."

Richard,
Shocked

Referring to the MWC ordinance....."nothing with a poisonous bite."
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Snakeman wrote:"The best thing about a hognose is that unless you smell like a frog, toad, or mouse, you won't get bitten."

Richard,
Shocked

Referring to the MWC ordinance....."any animal having a poisonous bite."

Of course I have to be BARELY inside OKC limits. One little strip between Jones and Choctaw. That sucks.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Robin,

Read the OKC Ordinances Michael posted on here.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Snakeman wrote:Robin,

I did but my memory is horrible. I'll have to read it again.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Spider Woman wrote:

I did but my memory is horrible. I'll have to read it again.

Yes, like I remember I can not own a venomous reptilia (so no hognose) unless I'm reading it wrong.

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  okherp Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Larry,

I wasn't arguing about the law. In fact, later in my post I addressed that same issue, more or less. I was just answering what seemed like a concern about the danger of a hognose bite. That's all! Wink
okherp
okherp

http://www.okherp.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Let's try this.

No, you do not need any licenses or permits to keep native herps, if they are species that are legal to keep in the first place and they are are nonvenomous.

(Even though they are rear-fanged and mildly venomous, hogs are not recognized as venomous at this time.)

After reading the OKC rules and thought I can't have it, I went back to this comment where you said they are not considered venomous. MY BAD.

Sometimes I really hate not talking to someone in person, some stuff gets lost in translation! (or maybe it just gets lost in my head, all that thinking going on up there Laughing )

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 pm

"all that thinking going on up there )."

Yep.

Too much thinking can be dangerous. Laughing Laughing
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Snakeman wrote:"all that thinking going on up there )."

Yep.

Too much thinking can be dangerous. Laughing Laughing

Ya, it hurts too! Wink

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2