OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Farm Style

3 posters

Go down

Farm Style Empty Farm Style

Post  Evilwezal Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:19 am

My Grand Father used to use a Wire Rack System with attached water and food troughs. The Rack System had wheels so that you could move it and enable the rabbits to graze on fresh grass. He also had a rabbit birthing coup similar to a chicken coup for the female rabbits to birth in. I remeber that rabbits will and do eat their young if stressed.

My Grandfather would feed a commerical pellet rabbit food, plus keep the rabbits on fresh grass in his pasture.

To keep parasites off he would use a commerical dust made specifically for rabbits.

The Rabbits were for human consumption, but I can not remember the actual breed name. At any one time he would have around 100 adult rabbits,plus babies in the breeding coup.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Farm Style Empty Re: Farm Style

Post  Snakeman Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:12 am

"The Rabbits were for human consumption, but I can not remember the actual breed name."

Kyle,

New Zealand Whites .......the "breed" usually raised for human consumption, but back in the 50's we raised rabbits to eat also and we had a couple of other species in addition to the Whites.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm gonna attempt to breed my own again. I have some friends that have done it before help me. I tried it before and didn't work out so well.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Possible one of the breeds, I remember he had some truely massive rabbits, they were a Norweigan Austra lop or so? I don't think they did so well in the summer, but seemed to love cold weather. I think some used to get about 30lbs or so.

One of my younger cousins has started raising rabbits again for food. I need to see what she's doing.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum