OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iguana problems

2 posters

Go down

iguana problems Empty iguana problems

Post  Jimbojack Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

I have been working with these green iguana for four years now and he hasnt tamed down one bit. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a reptile refuge where I could take him and he could like in peace. My experience and busy schedule and lack of funds has made it next to impossible for me to keep him. If you guys and gals have any ideas shout them out. He has a good home im jsut afraid it wont be for much longer.
Jimbojack
Jimbojack

Back to top Go down

iguana problems Empty Re: iguana problems

Post  tandy Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 pm

I wish I could be of help, but that is such a tough situation. I will do some checking, but they are so hard to re-home anyway but especially not being comfortable with people. I will let you know if I find out anything. You should also check with Landee Harrison, another rescue coordinator for the society. Also, there used to be an iguana rescue around Bartlesville (I think) but I don't know anything about them or if they are still active.

Also keep in mind and some will not like this at all, but you can also consider euthansia. It seems harsh but if you, who have had the utmost patience and dedication to work with him and have not succeeded in "taming" him down, then most others will not do as much as you have and he may very well end up in a bad situation. This comes from years and years of rescue experience and also the old adage of it costs just as much to keep a "bad" one as it does a "good" one. Any animal that you dread dealing with whether long hours of upkeep or behavior issues is considered one of the bad ones but may be the perfect pet for someone else. I've had parrots for 12 years and they are a royal pain and at times I've thought that they would make pretty feather dusters but that's also a part of their charm to me because unlike a dog, they do not live to please me. I have learned over the years to pick my battles and give up on the ones that need it and make room for others that have a better chance of finding a permanent home. I've had some rescue animals that made me hate going home for a time and I knew that I had to make some choices. Ok, I'm done rambling now. LOL.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbojack Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks tandy, but just to make clear im really not looking to "re-home" him. But more like a display animal where there is a facilty and cared for by professionals. Being a little experience I have noticed that some iguana's just dont ever take to captive care. This was my first reptile and I have no real issue keeping him just dont want the funds to run out and not have any escape plan, note to all college kids dont need iguana's lmao. anyway I wonder if a zoo or something takes them?
Jimbojack
Jimbojack

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

It would be great if you could find a professional setting for him but unfortunately zoos and other facilities may get hundreds of calls per year for iquanas and large constrictors especially. Just to give you an idea of the volume, I have it stated on my voicemail that I take all reptiles excluding iguanas due to space and husbandry issues (I live way out in the country and diet requirements are a major issue for me to maintain). I do hope that someone here can help and I will check with my sources as well.
Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbojack Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 am

yeah I know about the volume of iguana's needing a new homes wich is why I dont want to rehome him but get a pofessional setting where he can be a display animal. Thanks for your help Tandy.
Jimbojack
Jimbojack

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 am

I wish you the best and I do hope you find the right situation for him. I will also keep an eye out for you. Sorry if I sounded cynical. Rescue work is my passion and it's very frustrating when we can't easily or ever find the right place for each animal.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down