OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moss tips?

2 posters

Go down

Moss tips? Empty Moss tips?

Post  Evilwezal Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 pm

I've been trying for ages to get moss to grow. I've got some Gold tip Salengilla moss growing,but its not like carpet moss. I tried Java Moss, but could'nt get it to establish on land. Does any one have a source for live tropical moss or a kyoto type moss?

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Moss tips? Empty Re: Moss tips?

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:15 pm

The most successful way we have done it is by collecting a native moss that is found in a some what similar habitat to that which we are trying to get it to grow. If you're looking to grow it in a vivarrium or tank try to collect a native moss in a location that matches the enviroment of your terrerium/vivarrium and the chances of it growing will be a lot higher. Different mosses grow in different habitats ex: really wet, moist, dry, shaddy, etc.... It totally depends most mosses we've collected grow in shaded areas. One thing you could try that we have done for "moss farming" is try collecting different varieties of moss or mosses, put reasonable pieces of them in a blender with water, blend them to a runny paste and pour the contents of the mixture in a bucket with a little butter milk and mix it together to the point you could spread it evenly with a paint brush. spread the paste over whatever or wherever you want to try to grow it ( Vines, Logs, Rocks, Etc.. for large sheest we did old dampened towels or old carpet.) give it a while and they eventually grow over the spreaded area. you can cut the cloth sheets to fit or wrap around logs or cut to size for back grounds or whatever also. Thats my best advice to you. Beware, IMO some tropical mosses can cost more $$$$ than what their worth and can die fairly easily. With a little work and patience you can get some great results though here are some photos of some enclosures we've done with native mosses and farmed mosses. the pics aren't the greatest, but you get the idea.
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]
[img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img][img][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/img]

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 pm

I think Richard Butler and Larry also might know a thing or two about mosses you could always ask them for advice as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:04 am

I'm working with my friend who owns a local greenhouse. Shes had some success with the buttermilk method,but she says it produces alot of fungis also. I've been looking at Kyoto Moss Spores and possibly trying the buttermilk method with them. I'm located a dealership that will sell me the spores wholesale in bulk. I've collected local moss, but had no success.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  okie alice Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:03 am

I have the native moss I picked up at Blue River. One nice rock is covered with moss and lichen. I think it has to do with the seasons and moisture. The rock looks pretty even with the moss turned brown but it's not dead. It still has green parts. I spray it well so the rock gets wet. Some of the moss looks like really fine grass. Right now it too is golden brown, but not dead. There are a lot more varieties I want to get out where there has been no herbicide or other kind spraying. I have my dart frogs in this tank and they are very healthy. On the internet, the mosses are seasonal as well.
okie alice
okie alice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum