OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

retic talk me out of it or sell it to me

+3
Sylvias
Paul White
cartwright.glen
7 posters

Go down

retic talk me out of it or sell it to me Empty retic talk me out of it or sell it to me

Post  cartwright.glen Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Ok so i want one

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

retic talk me out of it or sell it to me Empty Re: retic talk me out of it or sell it to me

Post  Paul White Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Handle an adult if you can. THen look at caging cost then decide.
If you do decide to get one I've got a couple for sell (decent sized but not full grown).

Paul White

Back to top Go down

retic talk me out of it or sell it to me Empty Re: retic talk me out of it or sell it to me

Post  Sylvias Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 pm

lol Ok well i am going with the first option... kinda... not going to try and talk you out of it unless it's something your just not ready for...
so what experience do you have?
What snakes have you kept and worked with?
Have you ever handled a very large snake? not just a boa.... burms aren't even great for comparison... big and heavy but not usually as....difficult... as a retic.... 14ft of pure muscle is A LOT to handle and many will get much bigger than that.
Do you have the space? You'll need an 8ft cage eventually....
Do you have the money? big cages are expensive... heating that shouldn't really be but it will add to the cost. and feeders can get pricey when your getting to the larger rabbit sizes. (keep in mind you will CERTAINLY want to feed frozen for something like this -if you don't already with others)
Do you have someone to consistently help you with it once it gets over 8ft (which will very likely be within the first year)? Taking a 12ft snake from it's home for cleaning is not at all an easy task and you WILL need help, even if you think you don't it would be absolutely irresponsible and very dangerous to try and work with one on your own once it reaches significant size.

If you think all of that might be a bit much for you, FEAR NOT! For there are still dwarfs. True super dwarfs will rarely reach more than 6-8ft and are very manageable. I have a dwarf from New shed Serpents, only 50% SD but it's unlikely he will even hit 10 ft. A lot less snake and much easier to handle alone.
Sylvias
Sylvias

http://sylviasserpentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I have a few for sale also
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:42 pm

and i thought i would have had to wait until tomarow for a response

ok so this is what i know about retics they got big teeth
yeap thats about it
other than the obvious they get huge affraid

i have never had a snake larger than a red tail boa and that was not for very long
(lost it in the divorce) pale

my experience has been with ball pythons

i do have several empty cages i have two that are roughly 4x2 1/2 x 2 1/2 and i have one that is 8 x3?x2 1/2 i was thinking an 8 ft would be big enough

so wich one of you guys want to let me come over and teach me a thing or three Question

thanks guys hit me up with whatever you want to throw at me

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  J&C Johnson Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:46 am

Big teeth are the least of your concerns! You get a large snake wrapped around you and you are alone...you will most likely die!!! Gotta say, I agree with everything Sylvias said. Proceed with caution.
J&C Johnson
J&C Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:47 am

Glenn I would start with a hatchling instead of an adult just so you can get use to it. The worst thing you can do is jump right into it.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 am

i know it sounds as if i am not taking this serious

but honestly i am

that's why i posted here i knew i would get info and feedback

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sylvias Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:39 am

You need to get out and try to handle some REALLY big ones, all the research in the world cannot prepare you for the real thing....
When I decided to get my dwarf it was after I had handled a 16ft retic. Up until then I had done all sorts of research, knew exactly how I was going to house, feed, etc. I had it all figured it out. I had worked with larger snakes before, burms, boas, anacondas on occasion... but none over 10ft.... When I got to handle that big one.... it became VERY apparent VERY quickly that it was WAY to much snake for me to handle alone, and I don't have someone to help me with an animal like that regularly... so I lowered my sites a bit and got my dwarf, still a retic! but not quite so much retic in one cunning little body.
Sylvias
Sylvias

http://sylviasserpentine.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul White Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:10 am

Certainly, if you can, find one that's 12' or bigger to handle. If you lived near me I'd let you come over to meet Citrus and Shiva (13-15') to handle them. It's rather different than handling even a good sized (10' or so) boa. And 8' would be big enough a cage for all but the absolute biggest.
Part of the deal with retics is how variable the sizes are. Even discounting dwarf locales, I've seen males that were decently fed that only hit 11', and I've seen males hit 16'. And of course I've seen a handful of 18'+ females.

Paul White

Back to top Go down

Post  PatHigdon Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:40 am

Retics aren't for everyone. They are not your typical python, in my opinion. They are very intelligent snakes.

A juvenile retic & an adult retic are two different animals. The calm and gentle juvi can turn into a nightmare as an adult.
PatHigdon
PatHigdon

Back to top Go down

Post  tandy Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:16 pm

I'd go with a dwarf too. At 8 feet, my boa is probably the biggest snake I'll have permanently just because as someone else mentioned I am often alone when I handle my snakes. And as much as I'd love to have an albino burm, the aloneness factor at adult size has kept me from it and honestly I like a more manageable size at about 10 feet max.

Tandy
tandy
tandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:35 am

If you get a dwarf you need to understand that they can still get big. Super dwarfs stay fairly small. Chris Mcvikar should have some this year I think, not sure though. I have a trio and I feed them every week and IMO they seem to not grow as fast as the mainlands do.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul White Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 pm

dwarf in this context can still, for a large female, mean 15'; it's hardly small. That's atypical, but it is still possible.

Paul White

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down