OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

? on dart frogs

4 posters

Go down

? on dart frogs Empty ? on dart frogs

Post  cartwright.glen Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:05 pm

ok so i caught the wife and kids looking at dart frogs online
i would like to surprise them with a new dart frog
i know nothing about them would you all please inform me on what i will be getting myself into
thanks

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

? on dart frogs Empty Re: ? on dart frogs

Post  okie alice Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Dart frogs are colorful, pleasing frogs which make me smile every time I see them feeding and stalking fruitflies. I have two different kinds: D. auratus and D. leucomelas. The first are blue & black and usually shy, hiding most of the time but they will come out after they become used to you. The 2nd are black and yellow and are very social, out in the open most of the time. One frog is nice, two are better and three is best. Some like to be in groups, others just a pair. They are not as hard to keep as most people think. The Dendrobates are perhaps the easiest, especially the leucomelas. They have a soft trilling short call which is pleasing. Once you get the substrate set up, put in springtails to keep the soil clean, and get the lightening and heat correct, the frogs usually take care of them selves. Oh, and they need misted every day. They make a beautiful tropical display tank. Read the care sheets on Josh's Frogs and the Frog Forum.

Good luck.
okie alice
okie alice

Back to top Go down

Post  gatsu7 Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:26 pm

What Alice said, except for the D. auratus being shy. Some may be, but my 4 adults can be seen out in the open most of the day. It just depends on the individual, like any animal.

If you can wait a couple of months, I have a bunch of D. auratus tadpoles that should be healthy froglets by that time, and I promise you won't find them for a better price anywhere else. Josh's Frogs was selling this species at NARBC for $40 each, and I plan on selling them for $25 each with quanitity discounts. Not to mention, the frogs won't be stressed from shipping and you won't have to pay for shipping.

The main thing is to get a vivarium set up BEFORE you get frogs. If you plan on getting frogs in a month or 2, set up the tank now. This way, the plants can take root and the vivarium can "mature" before adding frogs.

I highly recommend the Zoo Med Repti-Fogger on a timer for misting. Once this is set up, dart frogs are just as easy as freshwater fish to take care of. Just drop in some food every couple of days and watch them interact with eachother. You definitely want to get more than 1, especially on D. auratus. They are very social and get along well in groups.

The hardest part about keeping dart frogs is keeping fruit flies on hand. That being said, fruit flies are super easy to culture. Buy the media kit from www.joshsfrogs.com (without flies), and I can provide you with a culture to get you started. You can make your own media or use media from another vendor, but you will almost definitely get moldy, smelly, dead cultures if you do this. I don't know what magic ingredients Josh's Frogs uses, but their media is the best. I have never had a culture fail using their product.
gatsu7
gatsu7

https://ochs.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:02 pm

thanks guys i was looking on joshes site still am looking at it
cant seem to find anything yet on heating and lighting methods
do they need special lighting maybe you all can tell me before i can find it on joshes website
let the race begin haha

thanks

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  gatsu7 Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:21 pm

cartwright.glen wrote:thanks guys i was looking on joshes site still am looking at it
do they need special lighting maybe you all can tell me before i can find it on joshes website
let the race begin haha

thanks

No special heating or lighting is required. A flourescent bulb to keep the plants happy and room temps in the 70s.
gatsu7
gatsu7

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:52 pm

gatsu7 wrote:
cartwright.glen wrote:thanks guys i was looking on joshes site still am looking at it
let the race begin haha

thanks

No special heating or lighting is required. A flourescent bulb to keep the plants happy and room temps in the 70s.

this looks like something i want to get into thanks guys for the info h

have you guys used joshes tank setup kits did you like them or is there a better avenue to go down thanks again

ps can you hear there noises (just would be cool)

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  gatsu7 Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm

I haven't tried their tank setups. I just do my own. Another good site for dart frogs and accessories is www.saurian.net. My 4 adults came from them.

Only the males make noise, and I haven't heard mine do it. They are so quiet that you pretty much have to have your ear next to them, at least on D. auratus.

What species are you looking at getting?
gatsu7
gatsu7

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm

gatsu not to sound presumptuous but yours that you will be selling so any help you give me would be appreciated

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul White Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 am

You sure you want to surprise someone with an animal?

Paul White

Back to top Go down

Post  cartwright.glen Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 am

its not that big of a surprise been talking to her while this thread has been moving along
plus it will be me caring for them and the plants and the food she and the kids will just get to enjoy the view
her biggest concern is she wants me to finish my snake room first
it will be some what of a surprise to the kids at least until the tank setup is complete and then
what is going in there questions will begin

cartwright.glen

Back to top Go down

Post  okie alice Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Michael will have the best deal and his frogs will be beautiful. It's a real plus when you don't have to pay for shipping and you know who the breeder is. You can get most of the tropical plants you will need at TLC Nursery unless you want to get mosses and the smaller orchid but you don't need either one. The mister is the best idea and you will want to keep the substrate very moist but not swampy. Magnolia leaves are a great addition to the bottom of the tank and they make good compost but do not get leaves that have been sprayed with pesticides. (I have some) Alligator Alley has the best frog tanks, new and used. Also I have springtails.
okie alice
okie alice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down