OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY HERP HIDES w/Clay

Go down

DIY HERP HIDES w/Clay Empty DIY HERP HIDES w/Clay

Post  Evilwezal Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:54 pm

I vaguely remember a post about making herp hides out of clay....well I've some past experience with Ceramic Clay, so I decided to experiment and try a low fire method.

I made up some sample bows, and a small gecko side hide. I used the coil method and pinch pot method. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I then loosely followed the directions on this website [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I used my charcoal grill which made out of 1/4th inch steel. I purchased pine shavings from atwoods, got 30lbs for $5. I layed down a layer of shavings and kindling sticks, then placed the pieces on top. I then build up alternating layers of pine shavings and news paper. I also placed a layer of charcoal w/ large pieces of pecan wood I got from my yard.

I used lighter fluid on the top layer to start a good burn. I allowed it to burn till the larger pieces of wood started smoldering well, I then placed the top on and opened the top vents, but kept the bottom vents closed. The fire smoldered for about 24 hours, I then popped the top and I was rewarded with 1 broke pinch pot, and 1 pot had a crack in it, but the gecko hide came out great.

The smoke/chemical reaction stained the pieces charcoal black, and left a smoky smell on them. I took them inside and washed them off, rubbed some cooking oil on them to test their shine.

I placed the gecko hide in my leopard gecko tank, they've immediately came out and started smelling it, and are using it every day.

I will post pictures tomorrow after I get off work.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down