OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the beginning of the end

+8
Spider Woman
J&C Johnson
Zak
Barry
Snakeman
tandy
gatsu7
Sylvias
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

the beginning of the end - Page 3 Empty Re: the beginning of the end

Post  sbender99 Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Guys and gals, If I write something that invokes concern, speak your mind. I learn a lot from exchanges of different ideas. I learn things from your responses so don't hold em back. I'm not taking things personal so I hope you aren't. Speak logically and convince me of your side. I may change my mind.

I do feel that the reptile community has been open to this attack for a long time. We know our own issues and as a community haven't done anything to self regulate ourselves out of the position we now find ourselves in.

#1 - Impulse purchases. Rather than discouraging this, some breeders are actually thriving on it.
#2 - Owner stupidity/ignorance. Educate the public.

We could, as a group, go along way toward this by trying to tackle both of these at the expos. Just like the pamphlet made for recognizing venomous snakes in ok (really liked it by the way). Why cant we do more of these for the most common reptiles sold at expos (contain a care sheet, what to look for in a healthy baby, what to avoid, what to expect) and have them available at the desk with the trinkets. Pamphlets that have the good bad and the ugly of each animal so people can make an educated choice. This is responsible business. We've all heard the story about the small snake they buy that grows to 22 ft. Even my normals, that are sold rather cheap - I tell each potential owner that the real cost is in setup ($100+ new) and food.

Im just saying we have got to get proactive and not reactive or we'll always be behind the eight ball.

And yes you are right, had this ban included BPs, Id be mad as a hornet. However. I still contacted every congressman, senator and president I could for both the ban and revoke.
sbender99
sbender99

http://www.ballpythoncafe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PatHigdon Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:03 am

Whatever, but my point is, the ENTIRE herp community didn't put up enough fight.

I remember things you have told me in the past about big snakes, and thats why I made the comment I did and pointed my finger at you.

If you wrote letters and signed petitions thats great. Thanks!!

But basically agreeing with the restriction and saying it was justified is just pure BS. It wasn't justified. The problem only effected 1% of the country. Why should the rest of us have to be tossed under the bus that 1%.

And the biggest problem in the Everglades, are humans. The snakes aren't constructing resorts and housing communities and sucking the water out. The humans are.
PatHigdon
PatHigdon

Back to top Go down

Post  J&C Johnson Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 am

AMEN, brother Pat!!!!
J&C Johnson
J&C Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 am

cheers
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:09 pm

Well the wait is over.

They're trying to get the rest of them.

1.) Indian Python, Python molurus

2.) Reticulated Python, Broghammerus reticulatus

3.) Boa constrictor

4.) DeSchauensee’s Anaconda, Eunectes deschauenseei

5.) Green Anaconda, Eunectes murinus

6.) Beni anaconda, Eunectes beniensis

They also included the Southern African Rock Python for those who consider them a

separate species from the Northern African Rock.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  thebluejackal Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm

I think this crap is as ridiculous as a pit bull ban. They pick some animal seen as "dangerous" when really the fault lies in with a few bad owners and waaaaaaaaaay too much negative media and quarter or eighth, not even half, truths. People are stupid, will believe anything, and won't take the time to actually research what's going on that's the cause of this problem in the first place. Drugs are illegal, but did that wipe them out? Nope. During prohibition, alcohol was illegal and we all know how that turned out. Bans don't do anything and are basically just useless legislation that soak up too many taxpayer dollars in their creation and implementation, in my opinion.

I have to say that I'm not republican, but nor do I like to label myself "democrat." Many of my views are what people tend to refer to as "liberal," but the reasoning for that happens to lie in the facts that I'm not Christian and I'm gay, so you can see why I have a hard time supporting many GOP candidates on their social issues as many of them affect me personally on a level even greater than my love of reptiles.

So yes, even "liberals" (I hate that word) can be herpers and hate legislation like this.

I'll have to dig up the article, but I've heard tell that they've had great success hunting down some of the offending snakes using dogs trained to detect their scent. Really what they need are more programs like this to cut down on their presence in the wild simply by finding and destroying them.

Here we go (copy and paste):
newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/02/27/dogs-sniff-out-exotic-pythons-in-the-everglades/

I see this as a MUCH more helpful solution than a ban. I'd support stopping the import of these animals as well. I won't buy any WC animal, even if I like the species and, as has already been stated, there are plenty of established breeders for CB animals.

We as a species are very, VERY good at finding creative ways to wipe out animals living in the wild. This time, it would actually be doing some good by getting rid of an invasive species rather than native (thylacine, anyone?)

Organize hunts. Put a bounty on their heads or skins. Make some nice wallets.

There are always other solutions than punishing the GOOD pet owners along with the bad.

thebluejackal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum