How I breed Meal Worms.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How I breed Meal Worms.

Post  Evilwezal on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:01 am

I use Wheat Bran as the substrate,which I purchased a 50lbs bag for like 10 dollars.

I kind of do the lazy man method, I toss in the brand, toss in the worms and beetles. I then toss in potatoes and any other veggie that are spoiling or thats going to be threwn away. I keep the tanks in my garage during the summer and let the worms multiple. I just make sure to add fresh food once a week and keep a secure screen lid on top of the tanks to keep out spiders that would like to feed on your worms.

When I need worms I use screens to shift out the proper size of worms. I do complete changes of substrate once a month, clean the tanks and add the worms/beetles back in. I use the substrate as composite in my flower beds or just toss it in the yard. You should have no smells coming from your colony even with semi-spoiled veggies in it. I would be sure not to overfeed, you should't have tons of food items rotting away in your tanks, that will attract other bugs and cause fungi.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Re: How I breed Meal Worms.

Post  Shadraak on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Only problem ive ever had was the sorting. Everyone says screens. I've tried every screen I can find. And even drainers. And no luck

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  okie alice on Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:38 am

Where do you buy wheat bran in bulk? Also, tell us a little more about the type of screen used.
okie alice

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadraak on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:38 pm

Same with wheat bran. Feed stores here look at me like im crazy. Can only find at countrymart in boxes. For a few bucks each.

Shadraak

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:35 pm

Tell them "Red" Bran or just "Bran". if any thing just tell them what your going to use it for. Most of the Old timer will understand what your talking about if you tell them your raising mealworms. Also go to your bulk/mom and pop feed stores ran by real farmers. not Atwoods ect. try using wheat chaff or even rice chaff. they add the stuff to horses/pigs feed mixes to increase fiber.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilwezal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:39 pm

As for screens, I used a old window screen, the worms/beetles stay on top and I blow the chaff off the screen with a shop vac set on low. Just do small batchs and work slowly till you figure out a method lol...your going to loose some worms/beetles. I do it outside of my garage and once I go back inside, the birds swarm the area looking for bugs lol.... Might also try a old style flour shifter, just don't use the agitator. Use one with a fine mesh.

Evilwezal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top