OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Incubating Leos

4 posters

Go down

Incubating Leos Empty Incubating Leos

Post  JoshuaTrana Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Anyone wanna give me a rundown of their incubator set up? And maybe some pics. I have a hovabator and superhatch. I have deli cups and lids on the way and perlite. I asked over at geckoforum but i would rather get advice from here with my fellow okies haha

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Incubating Leos Empty Re: Incubating Leos

Post  Cameron Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:30 am

when i bred them, i put each clutch together in a small deli cup. i used vermiculite, but perlite should work just as well. i kept the media moist and the temps in the incubator around 85 to get a good mix of males and females. if you want a better chance of having females, then incubate around 82. incubate around 88 if you want a better chance of males. i didn't have air holes in my deli cups, it kept up the humidity better that way. the eggs got fresh air when i opened up the lids every other day to mist.

that's how i did it. i know Pat has had good success also, he can give you his input and then you can just go with what sounds best for you. not really an exact science...everyone does it a little different; they are real easy to breed and hatch so i'm sure you will have no problems. good luck man!
Cameron
Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshuaTrana Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 am

Thanks. I set the incubator about 4 days ago and it has stayed at 81-82 since, do you think i need thermostat? I saw one of the females digging a couple of hours ago, so i am trying to be as prepared as i can

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Jumper Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:14 am

The wafer thermostat that comes with hovabator works well. A digital temp. gauge inside the incubator is helpful. The temps. may fluctuate a little according to the the temp. gauge but inside the cup with the eggs, the temperature stays pretty much the same.
Jumper
Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshuaTrana Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks everyone, first time incubating so kinda nervous and wanna get it right. One of my fenales has been digging a lot

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 am

Josh I'm glad you started this thread my wifes geckos are gravid also and this will be our first time.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshuaTrana Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 am

haha Just good timing I guess. I figured it would help me and settle my mind if I got advice from people on here

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 am

David is right, that wafer thermostat is actually a pretty good one. I incubated my first two ball python clutches in an hovabator without a digital thermostat and it worked out real well. in fact the first clutch survived a cross country trip in an hovabator plugged into the cigarette lighter in my truck. They are good incubators.
Cameron
Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JoshuaTrana Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:40 pm

i am glad i got one. my deli cups will be here tomorrow and i havent got eggs yet but it will be soon

JoshuaTrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum