Dumeril's won't eat

Go down

Dumeril's won't eat

Post  Spider Woman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I finally got one of the Dum's to eat last night, but still nothing for the other one. I will wait another week and try again. Should I still keep trying the frozen or go ahead and get a fresh killed like he's used to eating? Just this once since he still might be a little stressed? Or just try once a week until he decides he's hungry enough?

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Re: Dumeril's won't eat

Post  Zak on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:54 pm

I would try what he's use to. If he doesn't take it you can just freeze it. Glad the other ate. That always makes ya feel better. I have 3 ball pythons that haven't eaten for 3 or 4 weeks. No biggie though that's how ball pythons are sometimes. Keep up the good work. Sounds like you're doing everything you need to do.
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:58 pm

I would try a live rat fuzzy and make sure it's eyes are closed.

Waiting too long can sometimes be a problem.

Sometimes, for reason(s) only a snake knows, they won't eat
and starve to death even when food is available.

It's like a snake just laying there and allowing a rat to chew
on it if does not want ot eat the rat......go figure.

"What you do speaks so loud, I can't hear what you say."
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Robin,

here's a little info that may make you feel a little better about yours not eating. when i went to iraq both times, i had a female ball python stop eating. no reason why. my dad was keeping her the first time and she didn't eat. when i got home she started eating again. when i went to iraq the second time, my wife watched her. she would not eat for her either. again, when i got home she started eating again. the first time was 5 months, the second time was 6 months. they can go a long time without eating. it's not the best for them, but they can certainly survive it. by the way, she didn't seem to lose any weight either time....

snakes can be weird....like this guy -----> geek

Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. Cameron, I don't think that gun is big enough! Don't you have one any longer Laughing It's about as tall as me, which i guess isn't saying much!

I know they can go months without eating but I still would feel better if he would. I think I might try the fuzzy Larry.

Ok, Felix and his drinking from the syringe (which he did last night also- he still seems to be a little dehydrated- his skin is a little loose but I think the antibiotic is starting to work, YEA!!!!!!!) anyway I was talking about weird behavior. I put the female Dum in a bucket (the one I brought them in to the meeting) and covered it with a pillowcase but could peek in and see. I watched her root that dead mouse around and around and smell from the tip of it's nose to the butt and push it around some more. Everytime I checked on her she was doing the same thing. Finally I thought I would check one more time about an hour and a half later and I caught her right in time. First she opened her mouth and was like trying to eat the bottom of the container and then closed her mouth and I thought great, I have another mentally challenged animal! But finally she opened up and ate. It was the oddest thing the way she would take her head tilted down and push that mouse around for that long before she ate it. I was just shakin my head No thinkin...ya stupid!

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Spider Woman wrote: Cameron, I don't think that gun is big enough! Don't you have one any longer Laughing

you can never have too much gun....EVER! Cool

Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Spider Woman on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Cameron wrote:
Spider Woman wrote: Cameron, I don't think that gun is big enough! Don't you have one any longer Laughing

you can never have too much gun....EVER! Cool

Ya, If I want to end up on my butt when I shoot it! lol!

Spider Woman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum