OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs

+5
sbender99
Zak
Snakeman
gatsu7
toxicfrogaddiction
9 posters

Go down

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs Empty Thought i'd share some cool little frogs

Post  toxicfrogaddiction Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Had these guys for a while, just now getting around to taking pictures and adding them to the website inventory and I figured i'd share.

Enjoy.

Ranitomeya reticulata

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs DSC_0001

Ranitomeya benedicta

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs DSC_0009
toxicfrogaddiction
toxicfrogaddiction

http://www.toxicfrogaddiction.com

Back to top Go down

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs Empty Re: Thought i'd share some cool little frogs

Post  gatsu7 Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:41 pm

Those are awesome!!
gatsu7
gatsu7

https://ochs.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thought i'd share some cool little frogs Empty Re: Thought i'd share some cool little frogs

Post  Snakeman Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:56 pm

MAN !!!!!
Those are NICE !!
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Freakin amazing looking frogs!
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  sbender99 Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Those can breed right? If only the last part of their species is different, can't they breed to produce a cross?
sbender99
sbender99

http://www.ballpythoncafe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan Arens Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Those are beautiful.
Bryan Arens
Bryan Arens

Back to top Go down

Post  toxicfrogaddiction Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Thanks guys, i'm glad everyone is enjoying the pictures.

sbender99 wrote:Those can breed right? If only the last part of their species is different, can't they breed to produce a cross?

Scott, that's a good question and also a VERY sensitive issue in the dart frog hobby.
Can they breed to produce a cross, yes, but should they...NO!

The dart frog hobby does not condone hybridization in any way shape or form (which differs greatly from say many snakes or lizards...in which a species is bred and morphs are mixed just to attain the "coolest" most different morph.)
It is our job as dart frog hobbyists to stick true to the genetics of a species, and to try our absolute best to have our frogs represent their true locale and phenotypes in the wild.

Even if you cross the absolute rarest frogs, no one would buy them from you.

Most of the reasons given against hybrids in general are valid even when its the same species just different locales. We want our frogs to represent their wild counterparts.

And essentially anyone who mixes locales/species is giving the middle finger to the rest of the hobby. Which is quite selfish and serves no long term good for the amphibians we are working with.

Also there are some frogs that have highly distinctive morphs like Tincs and Pumilio, and if people crossed species such as these then you would never know what you are really working with.

I know that was a long, drawn out response...but short answer is yes it can be done, NO it should not be done and I would never ever advise doing so.
toxicfrogaddiction
toxicfrogaddiction

Back to top Go down

Post  sbender99 Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 pm

actually TY for the long response! I didn't know any of that. Very Happy

LOL Leave it to me to hit on a sensitive issue. LOL!!!
sbender99
sbender99

Back to top Go down

Post  snakefreak Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Wow! Beautiful frogs! I love the pics too!
snakefreak
snakefreak

Back to top Go down

Post  gatsu7 Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 am

sbender99 wrote:LOL Leave it to me to hit on a sensitive issue. LOL!!!

Yeah, the forum has been much more... interesting since you came along Laughing, but we're glad to have you.

gatsu7
gatsu7

https://ochs.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sbender99 Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:04 am

Last night after reading his response, I looked up some of the frogs he had mentioned being some of the more expensive, rarer frogs and they were absolutely beautiful. The strawberry dart is gorgeous! I also saw the vendors sticking to exactly like he stated "our frogs genetics are pure" etc. So that was some good information and we have seen pics of the incredibly beautiful vivariums that frog hobbyists have. Up until i read your post I thought they were just aiming at beauty and nailing it on the head. But I see now they were setup not only to be beautiful but also setup with a correct representation of the frogs habitat down to even what plants and leaves are used? I also noticed the frogs seem to be out of stock for the most part this time of year, which I wouldn't have guessed being from tropical climates so close to the equator?
sbender99
sbender99

Back to top Go down

Post  toxicfrogaddiction Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 am

sbender99 wrote:Last night after reading his response, I looked up some of the frogs he had mentioned being some of the more expensive, rarer frogs and they were absolutely beautiful. The strawberry dart is gorgeous! I also saw the vendors sticking to exactly like he stated "our frogs genetics are pure" etc. So that was some good information and we have seen pics of the incredibly beautiful vivariums that frog hobbyists have. Up until i read your post I thought they were just aiming at beauty and nailing it on the head. But I see now they were setup not only to be beautiful but also setup with a correct representation of the frogs habitat down to even what plants and leaves are used? I also noticed the frogs seem to be out of stock for the most part this time of year, which I wouldn't have guessed being from tropical climates so close to the equator?
I certainly hope to answer all your vivarium questions in my lecture next month!
toxicfrogaddiction
toxicfrogaddiction

Back to top Go down

Post  Jumper Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Beautiful frogs....I can't quit looking at them.
Jumper
Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post  toxicfrogaddiction Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Jumper wrote: Beautiful frogs....I can't quit looking at them.

Thanks man! They come with a hefty price tag, but doesn't beauty always come with a price?
reticulata are about $150 each, and benedicta are $350-$400 each.
toxicfrogaddiction
toxicfrogaddiction

Back to top Go down

Post  Lyds Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 pm

Wow! Those are VERY PRETTY! I love the colors!
Lyds
Lyds

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down