Rosy boa

Go down

Rosy boa

Post  Warpyimage on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

Hi all. I sometimes wonder what I was thinking when I told my daughter she could have this snake but oh well lol. My oldest daughter bought a habitat and a corn snake but right before she did that, she was offered a Rosy boa. My 2nd oldest daughter decided she really wanted to adopt this boa and I agreed that she could do so. This boa was in an aquarium with a couple (if not more) sheds and had not been fed in over a month (if not more). We initially thought she might have mites but upon closer observation, they were only flakes of dirt and easily removed. Over the course of a couple weeks, we have handled her more often and started to learn more about her personality. When we first brought her home, the other family had just fed her 2 mice and of course we had the pleasant experience of cleaning up the regurgitation from the stressed animal. We waited to feed her/handle her and when we did, we gave her 4 frozen thawed pinkies (all we had for the corn snake in the house) to try her out on frozen thawed since the family before us said that she would never take frozen thawed...only live stunned. She ate the pinkies just fine and then this week we gave her a frozen thawed adult mouse and she ate the entire thing w/in minutes and with no hesitation. After waiting a couple of days for her to digest this meal, we just had her out today. For the first time, my 9 year old (the proud owner) held her by herself. I was right there and had explained to her previously that even if the snake bit her, not to jump or drop her. She did really well when the snake explored her arms and then eventually bit her long sleeve shirt lol. We are hoping that she continues to calm down and becomes a good addition to our family. She is a very curious snake and since she is not used to being handled and has escaped previously for days on end from her other family, she just doesn't have any attachment to people. We hope to change that to the extent that you can with a snake. Anyway, any advice, etc. that you have as we begin this adventure will be welcome. I am glad we were able to "rescue" her but it is a project.

Warpyimage

Back to top Go down

Re: Rosy boa

Post  gatsu7 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:08 am

I'm glad you got her and are giving her a better home than the previous owner. If you have any specific questions, there are lots of people on here who can help.

Current Critters:
gatsu7

http://ochs.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rosy boa

Post  Warpyimage on Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks. I am sure there will be questions along the way. Smile

Warpyimage

Back to top Go down

Pics of Striker

Post  Warpyimage on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:44 am

Warpyimage