OCHS Member Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cage question

4 posters

Go down

Cage question Empty Cage question

Post  heavensshadow Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey all, we're currently in the process of revamping a display case for our red tail boa... Possibly beardies if I can make up my mind. Currently its dimensions are 6 ft long x 29 in tall x 2 ft deep.
Is this enclosure big enough for when Charlotte grows up? Mike is worried about the depth of the cage being too shallow for a full grown boa.
On a side note... We're trying to decide how to mount the lighting for it as well... Over the top or mounted inside with a ceramic fixture. I'm still keeping an open mind on it for bearded dragons too. It should be just fine for one or two of those as adults, yeah?
Thanks for any input ya'll have!
heavensshadow
heavensshadow

Back to top Go down

Cage question Empty Re: Cage question

Post  Zak Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:46 pm

I think it'll work for your red tail but that's just me. You can get those light fixtures at walmart and mount them inside on the cage. But you will need some cage or something to put around the bulb so the snake won't burn itself or bust the light bulb.
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Snakeman Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 am

Kristen,

That size cage should be fine for Charlotte if she tops out at around 8 feet.

Personally, I would not put any heating element inside the cage with a snake.

If you decide to use it for Beardies, remember you'll need UV lighting with nothing

between the light source and the lizard(s) and a hot basking spot.
Snakeman
Snakeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:28 am

I agree on the heating. I've done it though and like I said I had a small cage thing around the bulbs so the snakes couldint touch the bulb. Eventually though the snake got big enough and was able to rip the guard and bulb off. So I had trouble with that. I don't know what you plan on using for ambient temps or if you keep your snakes in a snake room where you can keep the whole room 83 to 85 degrees or not, plus don't know how thick the wood is that you are using, but flex watt and a thermostat is the way to go. I using heat lamps and things like that. Anyways there's a few options out there for heating. You should post some pics of the cage though. Would love to see it! Very Happy
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  heavensshadow Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:38 am

I'll have to post a before pic so you guys know what we're working with, and an after, when we get the final product completed.
I'm excited about the process... so far it's going well. We salvaged the tracks it already had, and we may or may not have some glass to use from an old shower (we wil see, I think it may need to be tempered and a little thicker). We've cut out the one shelf it had to maximize the space and have pulled off the melamine/plastic crap that was glued to the wood. Just need to figure out the heating logistics... Smile
We will be coating the inside, WELL, to keep it water and air tight, and we'll sanding, staining and sealing the outside, topping it off with some decorative trim. At least, I think that's the plan. I'm not the one playing with power tools. Very Happy

Also, can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures on the forum. Every time I try, I get a message saying "i'm not allowed to host" (??) a pic here.
heavensshadow
heavensshadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Zak Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

I agree on the heating. I've done it though and like I said I had a small cage thing around the bulbs so the snakes couldint touch the bulb. Eventually though the snake got big enough and was able to rip the guard and bulb off. So I had trouble with that. I don't know what you plan on using for ambient temps or if you keep your snakes in a snake room where you can keep the whole room 83 to 85 degrees or not, plus don't know how thick the wood is that you are using, but flex watt and a thermostat is the way to go. I using heat lamps and things like that. Anyways there's a few options out there for heating. You should post some pics of the cage though. Would love to see it! Very Happy
Zak
Zak

Back to top Go down

Post  Cameron Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:03 pm

that size should be fine for a boa.
Cameron
Cameron

http://www.redearthexotics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content